SLEEK & SEXAY – WAND CURLS ON NATURAL HAIR TUT | …: http://youtu.be/Au8tX7kBH68
A few weeks ago I was bored and decided to get my hair straightened. It just so happened to be my 6 month mark, so it was good for a length check also. I went to Wal-Mart and saw a black girl with natural hair, so I figured that she would be able to straighten my hair well. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
After washing my hair, she proceeded to put me under the hooded dryer to have my hair dry. With my tightly coiled hair, I knew this was a recipe for disaster and asked her to blow dry my hair instead. She did, but I wasn’t really satisfied with her process. I had to direct her on how to straighten my hair and she was the stylist!
I asked for a trim also and of course she gave me a cut. When I left there, I felt like an old aunt or grandma. I was definitely not pleased.
I kept it straightened for a few days. I bought some small rollers from Sally’s so I wouldn’t have to put heat on it daily. My bangs are pretty short, so I twisted the front and this is how I wore it.
When I washed my hair, all my curls came back with no problem. I used the Keracare Hydrating Shampoo and the Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. I used that conditioner because it us full of protein and I always like to infuse protein back in my hair after using lots of heat because it helps my curls come back. My hair was super soft afterwards and I was happy with my hair again.
Last weekend I didn’t have to work so I decided to blow out my hair and try a hot oil treatment. I used the Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Rosemary for my hot oil treatment. I have to say that … Continue reading
It’s been a little over a month (going on 2 months now) since my 3rd big chop and my regimen since has been super simple. I rarely manipulate my hair and it has grown so much already. I’ve been wearing a wig daily, but i wanted to document what I use on my actual hair. I must mention that I do not moisturize and seal daily…more like on wash day only.
1. Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Rosemary – I found this at Sally Beauty Supply and it was the last one so I snatched it up. I use it on my edges occasionally.
2. Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus CoWash – I didn’t bring my cowash from home because I planned on buying a cheap Suave conditioner. I couldn’t find the one I like, so I purchased this instead. I co-wash once a week, usually on the weekend.
3. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In – This was a staple when I was relaxed and I have a lot left so I’m trying to use it up. I like it on my natural hair too.
5. Satin Bonnet – A must for bed.
6. Silk Elements Liquid Styling Gel – I actually got this for free when I purchased the JBCO from Sally’s. This stuff is really moisturizing!
7. Shampoo Brush – I use this to detangle my hair on wash days.
So my regimen is to co-wash, apply leave-in, moisturize/seal, and apply gel since it has extra moisturizing properties. I sleep with my satin bonnet each night and I don’t use anything on my hair during the week – I simply plop my wig on and go.
The products will definitely change as I use things up and the regimen will change as my hair gets longer, but this is it for now.
Yesterday I took out my senegalese twists and was excited to give my hair a good cleaning. Unfortunately, it really didn’t turn out that way.
1. I washed with the Suave Rosemary Mint shampoo thinking that because it is a sulfate shampoo my hair would get really clean. I found out later that was not the case. It could also be due to the fact that I was being lazy and washed my hair as a whole in the sink as opposed to sections.
2. I deep conditioned with Hydratherma Naturals Amino Plus Conditioning Treatment. This stuff smells exactly like Nexxus Humectress and my hair smells like it still the next day. It was my first time using this conditioner and I think I should have just used the Aphogee Two Step Treatment. I may do that next week actually…maybe…
3. I detangled my hair with a comb for once using the Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee sample. I really didn’t care for it as I’ve used better detangling products. I used a wide tooth shower comb to detangle.
5. I combed each section of hair with a fine tooth comb before two strand twisting. I wanted to make sure all the knots and tangles were out from having my twists in so long. I rubbed a little coconut oil all over my hair to seal when I was done.
The result: This morning my hair was extremely soft. Too soft. I now know what people mean when they say their hair is mushy because that is exactly how mine was this morning. I did not like it. And to top it off, my hair is still dirty and dull as ever! The twistout was just horrid so I wore it in a ponytail. I hope this gets better soon.
They were calling my name! Both are sample kits and they just arrived today. The As I Am samples were only $3.14 and the Entwine Couture sample kit was $14.99. I
didn’t know how long these prices would last so I decided to check them out. Reviews will be coming soon!
I have had my natural hair straightened three times now. The first time was at a Dominican salon and I had so much breakage after that. I thought my hair would never recover!
The second time was at JcPenney when I got color added as well. Unfortunately, my hair still experienced breakage, although nowhere near a much as before.
The third time I decided to straighten MYSELF because I know I handle my hair better than anyone else…and guess what…NO BREAKAGE!
To do the job, I first washed and conditioned with the Carol’s Daughter Chocolat Smoothing line. After that, I applied Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave in followed by the CD Chocolat Blow Dry Cream.
The shampoo and conditioner were okay. This is the second time I’ve used the blow dry cream and I feel I can say that I don’t care for it at all. It coats my hair and when it dries it has a feeling as if it is waxy and hard. I want my hair to be soft when I blow dry.
Once my hair was dry, I separated it into small sections and applied my generic Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum as a heat protectant and then Aqua Net hair spray for hold.
Both of these items have been a staple since my relaxed days. The serum holds in the moisture and the hair spray holds the hair while not making it too hard. I can use the spray and still wrap my hair at night no problem.
I don’t have a video of me straightening, but the process I used is shown in the video below.
Next time, I’m going to skip the blow dry cream and use the serum to blow dry instead. I’ve used it to do so before and my hair was soft to my liking. To maintain my hair, I used Mi-Me Handmade Fascin8ting Hair Elixr and wrapped each night.
I don’t know what was so special about this time, but my hair lasted longer than it has in the past. I think in the future I’m going to continue to do it myself. I had no breakage and no heat damaged straight ends to cut.
Note: I have no clue why my photos look so blurry, but feel free to click on them for a much clearer view.
Last week I got the chance to try the awesome makeup from Pouts and Winks Online Boutique. This line is owned by Memphian Rhonda Boutte’ and is available for purchase at www.poutsandwinks.com.
There are numerous eye and lip colors to choose from, as well as falsies for your eyes and a primer made for eyes and lips to provide long-lasting color.
One of the items I purchased was the Socialite Lip Gloss, $12.00
This gloss has some serious staying power and I love that it adds a soft touch of color without being dramatic. It also smells of vanilla and I can’t keep my nose out of it.
The second item I purchased is the Seduction Butterfly Palette, $20.00.
I’ve only played around with two of the colors and they lasted pretty much all day. For optimal wear, I would definitely use with a primer. Using a primer would really make the colors pop.
Below are a few pictures I took with the gloss and eyeshadow colors. I used a burgundy liner with the gloss because I wanted a berry color. I did not use any primer with the eyeshadow.
If you would like to purchase any of the items from PoutsandWinks.com, visit the site and use the coupon code “PUCKERUP” for a 15% discount.
Finally, below is a video of the launch event I attended last week…